A thin and crispy pancake-like dish from the Ligurian coast is naturally gluten-free. Here's it's dressed with a minty, rich tahini sauce.
- 120 g (1 cup) besan (chickpea) flour
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, for pan-frying
- 140 g (¾ cup) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup thinly sliced kale leaves
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Yoghurt tahini dressing
- 125 g (½ cup) plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- coriander and mint sprigs
- cooked peas
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. For the socca, place the besan flour, salt and cumin in a bowl and stir to combine. Create a well in the centre then add the oil and 250 ml (1 cup) water and whisk to make a smooth batter. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of extra oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When hot, pour one third of the batter into the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 3 socca.
3. For the yoghurt tahini dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl.
4. To serve, top each socca with dressing and garnish with the extra herbs and peas.
Catch Helen Tzouganatos whipping up lush gluten-free meals alongside guests in the brand new first series of Loving Gluten Free on SBS and SBS On Demand.