This vibrant topping combo puts a spin on the usual meat lover's.
- 1 kg fresh ready-made pizza dough (see Note)
- 2 marinated kangaroo steaks, thinly sliced (see Note)
- 200 g cooked beetroot
- 200 g goats feta, crumbled
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 40 g baby rocket
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 brown onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon thyme leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Preheat oven to 240°C (220°C fan-forced).
For the caramelised onion, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Add onion, stirring until well coated; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Increase heat to medium-high, add sugar, vinegar and thyme leaves, stirring every few minutes until onion is golden and caramelised. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
Evenly quarter pizza dough, then roll or shape each piece into 20 cm rounds. Spread each with ¼ cup caramelised onion, a quarter of the beetroot and a quarter of the feta. Divide the marinated kangaroo strips over the top of the pizzas and season with salt and pepper.
Bake each pizza in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until kangaroo is cooked.
To serve, scatter with baby rocket leaves and a squeeze of lemon.
• You can marinade your own steaks (marinate in olive oil and your chosen flavours for at least 1 hour prior to cooking and then remove from the fridge around 20 minutes before cooking), or use a pre-prepared product, such as Gourmet Game/K-ROO's Herb & Garlic Marinated Kangaroo Steaks.
Recipe and image from K-ROO.