Colourful, crunchy and low-carb, the steak is marinated in soy sauce, garlic and ginger before being stir-fried with plenty of veggies and cauliflower and mushroom 'mince'.
- 2 tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 400 g lean rump steak, very thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 2 x 375 g fresh shredded stir-fry vegetables
- 2 x 200 g packets fresh cauliflower and mushroom ‘mince’ (see Note)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Chilling time: 30 mins
1. Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl, add the steak and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight if time permits.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the eggs and cook, untouched, for 3–4 minutes or until the egg whites are set with crisp edges and the yolks are still runny.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick wok over high heat. Add the beef in two batches and stir-fry for 2 minutes each or until just cooked and golden. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Add the shredded vegetables and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just tender. Divide among serving bowls. Add the ‘mince’ and 2 tablespoons water to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just cooked. Transfer to the serving bowls.
5. Divide the beef among the bowls, top with the fried eggs and serve.
• You can find fresh cauliflower and mushroom ‘mince’ in the fresh produce section at your local supermarket. If unavailable, use the frozen variety of cauliflower rice instead and add 200 g finely chopped field mushrooms.
Recipe from The CSIRO Low-Carb Diabetes Diet & Lifestyle Solution by Professor Grant Brinkworth and Dr Pennie Taylor. [Macmillan Australia, RRP $36.99]. Photography by Rob Palmer.