You can find most of the ingredients for this simple dumpling recipe at major supermarkets, but you can also find kimchi, dumpling wrappers and gochugaru (Korean hot chilli) flakes from Asian grocers.
- 1 tofu cake
- 250 g minced beef
- 250 g minced pork
- ¼ cup kimchi, roughly chopped, excess liquid discarded
- ¼ cup finely sliced spring onion tops, plus extra, to garnish
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 packet dumpling wrappers
- toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp gochugaru flakes (dried Korean chilli)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seed
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Standing time: 10 minutes
- Place tofu in a towel. Place under a heavy pan for at least 10 minutes, to remove excess water from tofu.
- Place tofu, beef, pork, kimchi, spring onion, chilli flakes, garlic, ginger and sesame oil in a large mixing bowl. Use a fork to gently combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 tsp of filling in the centre of each dumpling wrapper. Brush water around edge of wrapper. Fold wrapper over, squeezing edges firmly together, removing any air pockets and ensuring edges don’t separate. Bend rounded edge up and stick with water onto dumpling. Bring remaining points back and pinch together. Repeat until no more filling remains.
- Place dumplings in a large pan of salted boiling water and cook, in batches, for 5 minutes, or until they float and are tender.
- For the dipping sauce, mix together soy sauce, white vinegar, sugar, gochugaru flakes and sesame seeds.
- Strain cooked dumplings. Garnish with extra spring onion and toasted sesame seeds. Serve with dipping sauce.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.