Biscotti for the lemon lover in your life! This is a fun recipe where you get to drizzle icing all over everything, so have your inner child or your actual child at the ready.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened nondairy milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp ground flax seeds
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) refined coconut oil, melted
- 6 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1⅔ cups (205 g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (95 g) sliced almonds
- 2 cups (205 g) icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 45 ml fresh lemon juice
- 3 tsp (15 ml) refined coconut oil, melted
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Cooling time between baking: 30 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, lemon juice and flax seeds. Beat in the sugar, the ½ cup of melted coconut oil, lemon zest and both extracts. Mix for about 2 minutes, until relatively smooth.
3. Sift in half of the flour along with the cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Stir just until incorporated; a few dry spots are okay. Mix in the almonds, then add the remaining flour and use your hands to form a stiff dough.
4. Divide the dough in half and shape into two 12 xm x 7.5 cm (5 in x 3 in) logs. Transfer the logs to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, until puffed up. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 30 to 40 minutes, until firm and just warm to the touch.
5. Transfer the loaves to a cutting board. Use a serrated bread knife to slice crosswise into 2.5 cm (1 inch) slices. Do this in one swift motion; do not saw the cookies, just press down on the knife.
6. Place each cookie cut side down on the cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping the cookies halfway through. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Make the glaze: Place confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl. Add the vanilla, lemon juice, and coconut oil and stir vigorously, until a thick and smooth but pourable icing forms. If it seems too thick, add warm water by the teaspoon until the desired texture is achieved.
8. Place the cooling rack of cookies over the sink. Use a spoon to drizzle the lemon glaze over the cooled cookies, letting the excess fall into the sink for easy cleanup. Let set in a cool room or in the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image from I Can Cook Vegan by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Abrams, hb,$45)