The hot dog is so good I named it after myself! If you can find them, kosher beef frankfurters are my favourite kind of hot dog meat, especially when grilled! Make sure you steam the hot dog buns as well so they’re extra soft and warm.
- 4 kosher hot dog frankfurts
- 4 good-quality hot dog buns
- American mustard, to serve
Pickled capsicum relish
- 2 banana capsicums, washed and stalks removed
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup chipotles in adobo
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- For the pickled capsicum relish, preheat a chargrill to high. Grill the capsicums on all sides until blackened and blistered. Tear them into strips (don’t bother peeling them, but you can if you like), then place in a small food processor bowl with the remaining ingredients and blitz until a chunky relish forms. Set aside.
- For the tomato salsa, place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside
- For the chipotle mayo, place the chipotle in a jug and use a stick blender to process until smooth. Add the mayo and continue blending until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat a chargrill pan to medium. Fill a large saucepan with water, place a bamboo steamer over the top and bring to a roaring boil over high heat. Grill the frankfurts, lengthwise across the grill until they start to char, turning regularly to ensure they’re cooked evenly.
- Cut the buns down the middle to open them up but still keep the two halves joined. Steam the buns for 2 minutes until soft and piping hot.
- Spread some chipotle mayonnaise along the bottom of each bun. Put a grilled frankfurt in each bun. Top with some tomato salsa on one side and a smaller amount of the pickled capsicum relish on the other side. Squirt a zig zag of mustard over the top of each hot dog and serve.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Danielle Abou Karam.