A one-pot wonder, this key to this flavourful stew is a homemade African seasoning.
Judy's African Seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp dried chives
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp star anise
- 1 tbsp dried ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1kg chicken, beef, or a combination (any cut of meat you prefer)
- 500 g fresh or dried fish
- 3 x 500 g packets ground cassava leaf, defrosted, if frozen
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp Judy's African Seasoning, plus extra to season the meat
- 4 Maggi Crevette stock cubes (available at African grocers)
- 1 cup water
- fresh or dried chili, to taste
- 500 ml red palm oil (available at African grocers)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. To make Judy's special African seasoning, combine all spices and mix thoroughly.
2. To make the steam, generously season your chosen meats with this seasoning, then roast them in oven or on the barbecue until they are well cooked.
3. In a large pot, steam the cassava in water.
4. Set aside the palm oil, but add all other ingredients, including the cooked meat. Simmer gently for another 1-1.5 hours until it reaches a thick consistency.
5. Add palm oil right before serving and mix well.
6. Serve with rice and Judy's extra-hot Liberian chilli sauce.
This recipe is from Flavour Swap - one of the short films as part of the SBS Short Film Festival. Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.
Judy likes this dish with plenty of chilli, dried and fresh, but you can add chili to taste.