Classic, simple Italian almond-meal biscuits with a touch of zesty limoncello.
- 300 g almond meal
- 250 g caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp limoncello
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest
- icing sugar, for dusting
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place all the ingredients except the icing sugar in a large bowl and use your hands to mix until well combined.
- Shape walnut–sized pieces into balls, dust generously in the icing sugar and place on baking paper-lined baking trays, leaving room for spreading. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies look slightly marked and the bottom is firm.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then store in an airtight container for several weeks.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Danielle Abou Karam.