Baked brie is a massive crowd-pleaser. It’s absolutely beautiful and very easy to create. Camembert works just as well too, but it’s essential that you use a whole wheel of cheese, rather than a wedge.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 wheels of brie, each weighing about 200–250 g (7–9 oz)
- 2–3 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 1 handful thyme leaves
- 1 handful rosemary leaves
- toasted baguette slices, bread or crackers, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Makes 2 wheels.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and butter. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Once the onion has started caramelising, add the sugar, 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a further 5–10 minutes, stirring often. If the onion seems too sticky, add another splash of vinegar. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the pepitas to the same pan with another drizzle of olive oil. Cook over low heat until the seeds begin to pop. Add the honey, paprika and a good pinch of salt. Cook for another 1–2 minutes, then set aside.
- To assemble, place the wheels of cheese on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread the cranberry sauce over each one, then top with the balsamic onion. Divide the herbs over each wheel, reserving a few sprigs for garnishing. Add the honeyed pumpkin seeds. Finish by drizzling a little more olive oil and vinegar over the top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the toppings are sizzling hot and the inside of the cheese is melted (the wheels will have slumped, as they’ll be runny inside).
- Garnish with the reserved herbs and serve immediately, with your carb of choice.
Recipe and images from The Shared Table by Clare Scrine, Smith Street Books, RRP $39.99