The classic French creme caramel gets a tropical update thanks to coconut milk and fresh mango.
- 2 tbsp (40 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) coconut milk
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) thickened cream
- ½ cup (100 g) brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 small vanilla bean pod, pulp only
- 1 cup (250 ml) mango puree
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and cut into small cubes, for garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Chilling time: 45 minutes
- In a small saucepan, heat water and sugar over medium-high heat to make caramel. Simmer for 8 minutes or until sugar has turned golden, then remove from heat.
- Pour 2 tablespoons (40 ml) of the caramel into the base of each ramekin. Place ramekin in the refrigerator for 15 minutes for the caramel to set.
- In a new saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, milk, cream, brown sugar, and salt. Place over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the brown sugar has dissolved completely. Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla pulp and mango puree.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and egg yolks. Slowly pour eggs into the milk mixture, and whisk vigorously to stop the eggs from cooking. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve, then pour into the ramekins over the caramel, leaving third-inch of space at the top of each ramekin.
- Add 1-inch of water to a large wok, and heat over medium-high. Place a rack in the bottom of the wok, and place ramequins on the rack. Put a lid on the wok once water is simmering, or cover with aluminium foil. Steam for 18-20 minutes, or until crème caramel is slightly firm.
- Remove from heat, let cool, and chill in the refrigerator for 40-45 minutes to set completely.
- Remove from refrigerator. Run a small sharp knife around the edge of the crème caramel inside the ramekin. Flip onto a serving plate to reveal flan and caramel.
- Serve cold, and garnished with fresh mango cubes.