Baked croissants provide the perfect base for a topping of juicy mushrooms, pancetta, herbs and truffle oil, a winner for the brunch table.
- 6 large croissants
- 8 eggs
- 1½ cups (350 ml) cream
- 1½ cups (350 ml) milk
- ¾ tsp (3.75 ml) dry mustard
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
- 1½ cups (350 ml) shredded gruyere
- 1 cup (240 ml) cubed pancetta
- 2 eschalot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 6 cups (1.4 L) sliced assorted wild mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- freshly ground pepper
- truffle oil, optional
- parmesan cheese
- fresh chives, chopped
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Chilling time: 1-2 hours
1. Grease 6 ramekins.
2. Cut croissants in half, lay on a baking sheet, and toast lightly in the oven. Remove and let cool.
3. In a bowl, mix together eggs, cream, and milk. Add dry mustard, salt, and pepper and stir in. Add gruyere and stir in.
4. Lay one croissant cut side up in the bottom of the ramekin. Fit the other croissant, cut-side out, around the edges of the ramekin. Pour the egg mixture over top. Place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
5. Remove from the fridge and place ramekins on a baking tray. Bake at 160ºC (325ºF) for 40 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a pan, add pancetta and cook over medium-high heat for few minutes. Reduce heat, add shallots and garlic and saute until soft. Add butter to the pan and let melt. Add mushrooms and cook until starting to brown. Remove from heat. Add fresh thyme leaves to the mixture along with ground pepper to taste, and and stir in.
7. Remove ramekins from oven. Remove each croissant bake to a separate plate. Divide mushroom mixture between croissants. Drizzle truffle oil on top if using, shave over fresh Parmesan and garnish with fresh chives. Serve warm.