Cooking everything together allows the rice to soak up the stock and for the flavours to permeate. Plus, minimal cleaning!
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken stock
- 6 slices ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 long green chilli, sliced
- 1½ cups (300 g) jasmine rice
- 4 x 125 g chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 4 green onions (scallions), sliced
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- soy sauce, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Place the stock, ginger, garlic and chilli in a deep frying pan over high heat and bring to the boil. Add the rice and stir once to distribute evenly over the bottom of the pan. When the stock comes back to the boil, add the chicken.
2. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the stock and the chicken is tender.
3. Top the chicken and rice with the onion and coriander and serve with soy sauce.