This full-of-flavour pasta is a super-easy recipe you can do in almost no time at all.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 anchovy fillets
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley stalks
- 350 g penne or rigatoni pasta shells
- 2-3 garlic cloves, bashed with the palm of your hand
- 2-3 tbsp capers, well rinsed
- ¼ cup olives, pitted
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes (or use passata)
- small piece of pecorino or parmesan rind, optional
- Salt and pepper for seasoning (keep in mind that the capers and chives are very salty)
- chopped parsley and grated pecorino or parmigiana, to garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Heat up the oil in a large, heavy-based pan.
2. Add the anchovies and stir with a wooden spoon to break them down.
3. Add the garlic and chopped parsley stalks, and allow the oil to infused with the flavours.
4. Add the pasta, capers, olives and stir through. Cover with tinned tomatoes and enough water to make sure all the pasta is submerged. Add your cheese rind, if using. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Check seasoning.
5. Serve hot (discard the cheese rind and garlic before serving), as it is, or with a dusting of pecorino or parmigiano and chopped parsley.