The smoky sizzled flavour of these kebabs, paired with this sweet and savoury mango sauce, makes them a delicious vegetarian main.
- 400 g (14 oz) paneer, cut into 2-cm (¾-inch) cubes
- 3 small capsicums (bell peppers), in any colour or mix of colours, cut into 2-cm (¾-inch) squares
- 1 large red onion, cut into 2-cm (¾-inch) chunks
- olive oil, for cooking
- coriander (cilantro) leaves, for sprinkling
- 250 g (9 oz/1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ red chilli, halved lengthways, then sliced paper thin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 80 ml (2½ fl oz/⅓ cup) lemon juice
- 75 g (2¾ oz) butter, melted
Curried Mango Sauce
- 160 g (5½ oz/½ cup) mango pieces
- 3 tbsp Kewpie mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 30 minutes or up to a day
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl or dish and season with salt and pepper. Add the paneer, capsicums and onion to the mixture and gently coat in the sauce. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 30–40 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- Make the curried mango sauce by mashing the mango with a fork until puréed, then mixing to combine with the other ingredients. (Alternatively you can blend all the ingredients using a food processor or stick blender until smooth.) Season to taste and transfer to a small serving bowl.
- Thread the vegetables and paneer onto 10–12 skewers, alternating the ingredients.
- Heat a barbecue or chargrill pan with a drizzle of olive oil until searing hot. Cook the skewers for 3–6 minutes, until lightly charred in parts, then carefully turn them over and repeat on the other side.
- Place the cooked skewers on a platter and sprinkle with salt and coriander leaves. Serve with the curried mango sauce for dipping.
Recipe and images from The Shared Table by Clare Scrine, Smith Street Books, RRP $39.99