- 650 g mixed tomatoes (cherry, kumato, heirloom, roma, oxheart), sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with the back of a knife
- 3 large slices stale ciabatta or panini
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 55 g (⅓ cup) caperberries
- ¼ cup basil leaves, larger leaves torn, plus extra, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Toss tomatoes, garlic and ½ tsp salt in a bowl. Tear bread into pieces and toss with tomato mixture. Stand for 1 hour to let bread soak in juices; add a little water if bread is too dry.
Add oil, caperberries and basil, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with extra basil leaves.
As seen in Feast Magazine, Issue 16, pg71.
Photography by John Laurie & Brett Stevens