- 1.5 litres fish stock
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ sweet pineapple, peeled, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 50 g tamarind pulp
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 elephant ear stem, peeled and sliced
- 5 okra, sliced on a diagonal
- 1 green banana, finely sliced
- 100 g pickled bamboo shoot
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 200 g baby calamari, cleaned but not skinned
- 200 g small tiger prawns, heads and legs trimmed
- 2 red chilli, sliced
- 1 bunch rice paddy herb, roughly sliced
- 1 bunch sawtooth coriander, roughly sliced
- 1 tsp garlic oil
- ½ tbsp fried garlic
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Dissolve the tamarind pulp in 1 cup of hot water. Work the pulp until dissolved and then strain the liquid through a fine sieve, discarding the pulp.
Combine the fish stock, tamarind water, fish sauce, pineapple, pickled bamboo shoots and sugar into a clay pot and bring to the boil.
Add the calamari and prawns to the pot. Bring back to boil, discarding any impurities that float to the top.
Add tomatoes, green banana, okra and elephant ear stems.
Bring back to the boil, then transfer to serving bowl. Add herbs, fried garlic, garlic oil and chilli.