These pineapple buns don't actually have any pineapple in them, but are named for the crackle pattern that is made by the buttery topping.
- 1 egg yolk, for egg wash
- 4 cups (600 g) flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup (250 ml) thickened cream
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) milk
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk powder
- 1 cup (150 g) cake flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 egg yolk
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Rising time: 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375 F).
- To make the dough, add 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flour and ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt to water. Mix well to combine. Cook over heat, stirring, until it becomes a smooth paste. Remove from heat.
- Add to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add remaining flour, remaining salt, sugar, and yeast. Put mixer on low. Pour in heavy cream and milk, and continue mixing. Crack in egg.
- Mix for 10 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Remove bowl from stand, cover with a damp tea towel, and set aside for 1 hour to rise.
- After it has risen, turn dough onto a floured counter, and roll it out into a long rope. Cut rope into 10 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place under a damp tea towel to continue rising while you make the topping.
- To make the topping, to another bowl, add milk powder, cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, icing sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cut in unsalted butter using a fork or pastry cutter. Pour in milk and stir. Add egg yolk to bowl and mix in. Divide topping into 10 equal pieces, and flatten into semi-circles.
- Take one ball of risen dough, and place semi-circle topping on top. Score with a crosshatch to create the ‘pineapple’ look. Repeat until all dough and topping have been used up.
- Brush tops of dough with egg yolk. Bake in oven at 190°C (375 F) for 10-15 minutes.