This childhood favourite gets a grown-up makeover with a splash of whiskey added to the recipe. Dip the crackles in rose petals or dried raspberries for a fancy finish.
- 100 g butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 15 ml whiskey
- 4 cups cornflakes
- ¼ cup chopped pistachio nuts
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted, to serve
- 100 g white chocolate, melted, to serve
- 100 g sprinkles, to garnish
- 100 g dehydrated raspberries, to garnish
- 100 g edible rose petals, to garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line an 11 cm x 7 cm slice pan.
- Place butter, sugar and honey in a hot pan over medium heat, stirring so ingredients don’t burn. Add whiskey and stir as butter melts and ingredients come together. Remove from the heat and stir in cornflakes and pistachios until evenly coated in syrup.
- Spoon the mixture into a prepared pan. Press mixture down so it packs densely in tray. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool in tray before slicing into bite-size pieces.
- Dip end of each piece in melted chocolate and sprinkles, raspberries or rose petals. Stand until chocolate is set before serving.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.