Pizza fritta, or fried pizza, is exactly that: fried pieces of fresh pizza dough ready to top with your favourite flavours that's slightly chewy and crunchy.
- 500 g “00” flour
- 7 g sachet dried yeast
- 325 ml lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 scant tbsp sea salt flakes, plus extra, for serving
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Spicy marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 400 g passata or tinned chopped tomatoes
- sea salt flakes, to taste
- your choice of toppings such as bocconcini, ricotta salata, grated parmesan, olives, cured meat, anchovies, basil, marinated mushrooms and artichokes
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Standing time: 2 hours
1. Place the flour, yeast, water and oil in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the salt and knead until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 6-8 minutes or until smooth. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and stand in a warm place for 1-1½ hours or until doubled in size.
2. Meanwhile, for the marinara sauce, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the passata or chopped tomatoes, reduce the heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened and reduced. Season to taste.
3. When the dough is ready, knock it back and turn out onto a floured surface. Divide into 10-12 equal balls. Flatten each ball into an 8-cm circle and place on baking paper-lined baking trays. Cut a 2-cm slit into the top of each pizza. Set aside for another 30 minutes or until risen by half.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat to 180ºC. Cook the pizza fritta, in batches, for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Serve smeared with a little marinara sauce and whatever toppings you like.
Silvia Colloca shares her Italian family secrets in the brand-new second-season of Cook like an Italian.