Prawn cocktail is a bar food classic, and this version adds a light and zingy crab salad for an extra layer of flavour and texture. Tabasco and fresh chilli give it heat, while iceberg lettuce adds cool crunch.
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2–3 drops Tabasco sauce
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1½ tbsp tomato sauce
- 150 g crab, shell removed, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 red chilli, seeded, finely diced
- ½ bunch chives, finely diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 10–12 prawns, peeled, deveined
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges to garnish
- dill sprigs, to garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- To make the dressing, gently stir mayonnaise, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce and a pinch of salt of pepper until combined and light crimson in colour. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix crabmeat, a pinch of salt and pepper, cucumber, red chilli, chives and lime juice.
- To assemble, create a base using shredded lettuce, fill about half a cocktail glass. Layer 5–6 prawns over lettuce. Slide a large spoonful of crab mixture on top. Drizzle 1½ tbsp of sauce over top.
- Repeat with remaining lettuce, prawns and crab mixture. Garnish with lemon wedges and dill. Serve.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.