Chewy pretzel dough meets hot dog in this twist on game-time grub.
Any chance I have to make two of my fave things into one dish, I’m going to do it and these salty, savoury pretzel dogs are a perfect example of that!
- 2½ cups (300 g) plain (all-purpose) flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 tsp (6½ g) dry instant yeast
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- ⅔ cup (156 ml) milk
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water
- 1½ tbsp (30 ml) honey
- 1½ tbsp (30 g) unsalted butter
- 12 hot dogs (wieners)
- 6 cups water
- 4 tbsp + 3 tsp (90 g) bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- Sesame or poppy seeds, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, coarse salt, etc
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Rising time: 1 hour
Resting time: 15 minutes.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray. Line a second sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Grease a large bowl with oil.
- For the dough, whisk together flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat milk, water, honey and butter in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat until the butter has melted and mixture is lukewarm .
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms. Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough into prepared bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- To assemble, dry hot dog wieners and set aside. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal portions. Roll each into a 30 cm (12-in) rope. (Alternatively, press dough into a 30 cm (12-in) square and cut it into 12 2cm x 30cm (1in x 12-in) strips.)
- Wrap the dough around the hotdogs, gently stretching as you wrap so dough reaches to within 1½ cm (½-inch) of ends of hotdogs. Place on unsprayed sheet, cover with plastic wrap and rest for 15 min.
- Heat the oven to 230°C (450°F). Bring water and baking soda to a boil in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Gently lower wrapped hot dogs into the water in batches of three. Boil for 1 minute, flipping halfway.
- Place boiled pretzel dogs onto sprayed and lined baking sheet, sprinkle with desired seasoning and bake until golden-brown, about 10 to 13 minutes, rotating sheet halfway.