This easy granola is ready in about 20 minutes, and you can change the nuts, fruit and spices to suit whatever you have on hand.
- 2 tbsp oil (I use a mix of coconut and extra virgin olive oils)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼-½ tsp cinnamon, or to taste (see Note)
- ⅓ cup dried fruit, or to taste (cranberries, sultanas, etc)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Put the oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat and allow the coconut oil to melt, if using. Stir in the honey and sugar then the oats, almonds and cinnamon.
2. Stir frequently for about 10 minutes. For a few minutes it will look like it’s not cooking much at all and then it will start to darken more rapidly. It’s crucial to stir frequently at this stage. Once it’s a deep golden-brown, remove from the stove and tip onto a baking sheet to cool. It will become crunchier as it cools.
3. Stir in fruit. When completely cool, transfer to an airtight container or jar.
• You can use whatever mix of spices you like – I often use cinnamon and ginger.