If you want to make friends, this tantalising torte is a sure-fire way to do it. Who could resist a rich, chocolate-y dessert that is completely guilt-free? You and your new best friends will be bursting with bliss after just one bite.
- 175 g (1½ cups) raw walnuts
- zest of 1 lemon
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup dried berries
- 1 tsp stevia powder
- 155 g (1 cup) raw, unsalted cashews
- 40 g (⅓ cup) raw cacao powder
- 115 g cacao butter, grated and melted
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup, or 1 tsp stevia powder
- 2 tbsp coconut milk (see Note)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups mixed berries, plus extra, for decorating (optional)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Soaking time 2 hours
Chilling/freezing time 1½ hours
Place the cashews in a bowl, cover with filtered water and soak for 2 hours. Drain.
To make the base, place the walnuts in a food processor and blend until they are finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and add the lemon zest. Place the coconut oil and dried berries in the food processor and blend. Add to the walnut mixture and combine well.
Press the mixture into a 20 cm (8 inch) springform cake tin and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
To make the filling, place all the ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth.
Remove the base from the freezer and spoon the filling over the top.
Chill for 1 hour in the freezer (or 2 hours in the fridge), until set. Scatter over the extra berries before serving.
• This will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge, or 2 weeks in the freezer.
• I prefer additive-free coconut milk.
Recipes and images from Supercharged Food: Eat Clean, Green & Vegetarian (Murdoch Books, $35, pbk).