For when you want to add a little southeast Asian flair to your salad.
- 3 tbsp red ant eggs
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 red Asian shallots, finely sliced
- 2 lemongrass stems, white part only, finely sliced
- 1 small handful coriander (cilantro), sliced
- 10 mint leaves, sliced
- 10 Vietnamese mint leaves, sliced
- 3 sawtooth coriander (cilantro) leaves, sliced
- 1 tsp padek (Laotian fermented fish sauce)
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsptoasted rice powder
- juice of 1 lime
- 10 small Chinese cabbage leaves
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Combine all the ingredients, except the cabbage leaves, in a mixing bowl.
Toss together well, then transfer to a serving platter. Serve the cabbage leaves with the salad, using them as a 'spoon' to eat the salad with.