You can add a a little edible gold foil or glitter, if you like.
This is a very easy cupcake batter and mixing by hand helps create nice light cupcakes, topped with cream cheese frosting.
- ¾ cup (175 ml) canola oil
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup (170 g) sugar
- ½ cup (125 g) full-fat yogurt
- 3 tsp (15 ml) red food colouring
- ½ tsp (3 g) white vinegar
- ½ tsp (3 g) vanilla
- 1¼ cups (160 g) plain flour
- 2 tsp (10 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 g) fine salt
- 250 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 115 g (½ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 to 3 cups (250-400 g) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- pinch fine salt
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Cool cupcakes completely before icing.
- For the cupcakes, heat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Beat together oil, egg and sugar in a large bowl until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in yogurt, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet; mix just until combined. Divide batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of cupcakes comes out clean, about 24 to 28 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the icing, beat together cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add icing sugar ½ cup (65g) at a time until desired consistency. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Decorate as desired by either smoothing icing onto cupcakes with an offset pallet knife or by spooning it into a piping bag fitted with a piping tip of your choice and swirling onto cupcakes.