In summer, leave them in the fridge to chill and cool, and in winter go for the classic pudding served warm with ice-cream atop.
- ⅔ cup (150 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (120 g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5–6 thin stalks rhubarb
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar, extra
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Place sugar, eggs, cream, flour, almond meal and vanilla into a bowl and whisk to combine. Spoon mixture into 4 x 1-cup capacity (250 ml) ovenproof dishes. Cut the rhubarb into lengths to fit the tops of the puddings. Top the puddings with the rhubarb and sprinkle with sugar.
3. Bake for 25 minutes or until pudding is set. Serve warm or cold with ice-cream.