Bar snacks don't get much better than a bowl of warmed, spiced nuts to go with a cold beer. These are super quick and simple to make at home.
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- ½ cup Brazil nuts
- ½ cup salted peanuts
- ½ cup smoked almonds (see note)
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- 1½ tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1½ tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3-4 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup soya crisps
- 1 cup rice crackers, crushed (see note)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Place nuts, seeds, smoked paprika, chilli powder, salt, pepper and olive oil in a heavy-based pan on low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3–4 minutes or until nuts are evenly coated in the spices and oil, and are gently warmed.
- Remove pan from heat. Add soya crisps and rice crackers the mixture and stir well to combine.
- Serve warm in a large bowl.
• You can use regular almonds if you prefer.
• You can use the rice cracker flavour of your choice – plain or seaweed flavours will suit this recipe.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.