This is a perfect match with Michael Bonacini’s Pork Braised in Milk
Roasted carrots, chestnuts, cippolini onions and a few apples make a delicious mix to go with a roast,
- 12 young carrots with greens still attached
- 1½ cups whole, peeled, cooked chestnuts
- 12 pearl onions, peeled
- 2 large tart apples, cored and sliced into eighths
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 2 generous tbsp (45 ml) honey
- 3 tsp thyme leaves
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat oven to 205°C (400°F).
2. Put carrots, chestnuts, pearl onions, and apples in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, honey and thyme leaves. Pour over carrots, chestnuts, onions and apples and toss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Remove apples and set aside. Add the carrots, chestnuts and onions to a greased baking sheet and roast in the oven for 8 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and add apples. Roast for 6 minutes more, or until apple and vegetables are cooked. Remove from oven and serve.