These biscotti are perfect for dipping into your coffee. They’re really crunchy with a slightly savoury edge due to the rosemary. Biscotti require two rounds of baking, so turn off your oven while the biscuit logs cool after the first bake.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 115 g (4 oz/¹⁄³ cup) rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp liquid stevia
- 300 g (10½ oz/2 cups) plain (all-purpose) fl our
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 100 g (3½ oz) hazelnuts
- 50 g (1¾ oz/¹⁄³ cup) pine nuts
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F (fan-forced). Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Whisk the egg, rice malt syrup, orange zest and rosemary together in a large bowl. Sift the flour and baking
powder into the bowl, then add the hazelnuts and pine nuts and mix to form a smooth firm dough.
3. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a slightly flattened log, about 20 cm (8 in) long. Place the logs
of dough on one of the prepared trays and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to touch.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray. Turn off the oven.
4. When the biscuit logs are cool, preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F (fan-forced).
5. On a chopping board, cut the logs diagonally into 5 mm (¼ in) thick slices with a serrated knife. Put the slices in a single layer on the prepared trays and bake for a further 20–25 minutes, turning the slices over after 10 minutes, until crisp. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. These biscotti will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
Recipe and image from Incredible Bakes That Just Happen to be Refined-Sugar Free by Caroline Griffiths (Smith Street Books, $39.99 hbk).
View more refined sugar-free recipes from Incredible Bakes here.
View our Readable feasts review and more recipes from the book here.