A mixture of chillies and spices give this famous fried squid its signature burst of flavour.
- 350 g squid, tubes and tentacles
- 1½ tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup (75 g) plain flour
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil, plus vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp red Thai chilli, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp green Thai chilli, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp Chinese chives, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- Salt and pepper
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 15 minutes
- Slice squid tubes into half inch rings by cutting horizontally across the body. If necessary, cut tentacles into bite-sized pieces. Add all pieces of squid to a mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together Shaoxing wine, sesame oil and diced garlic. Pour Shaoxing wine mixture over squid, toss to coat, and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Drain squid from marinade, and add flour to squid. Toss until all squid pieces are coated.
- Heat frying oil in wok over high heat to 180C (350 F).
- Add a third of the dredged squid to hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, around 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove squid from oil and place on a paper towel to remove excess liquid. Repeat in batches until all the squid pieces have been fried.
- In a new wok, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add ginger, spring onions, red and green Thai chillies. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add squid to hot wok with aromatics, and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add Chinese chives and toss together.
- Remove from heat, season with Chinese 5-spice, salt, and pepper. Toss one last time.