When you just want something straight-up hearty for breakfast, this sausage soak up delivers.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 thick sausages of your choice
- 3 large brown onions, sliced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 600 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 400 g can cannellini or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- crusty bread, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat and brown the sausages until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onions until lightly golden. Add the paprika, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until the onions are almost soft.
- Stir through the beans, then place the sausages on top, cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until sausages are completely cooked through. Serve with crusty bread.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Adam Liaw.