Transform a plain fillet steak into these flavour-packed grilled beef lollipops. Wrap in cos lettuce leaves with a squeeze of lemon to serve.
- 500 g fillet steak, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 40 g (¼ cup) white sesame seeds
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 lemon or lime, thinly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 60 ml (¼ cup) soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 40 g (¼ cup) sesame seeds
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. For the marinade, whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl until well combined and the sugar has dissolved. Check for flavour and adjust accordingly- the marinade should have a nice balance of salty, sweet and sour. Add the beef to the marinade and combine well.
2. Thread 4-5 pieces of beef onto each skewer and set aside on a plate. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, reserving 1 teaspoon for serving, the drizzle with a little olive oil.
3. Heat a large frying pan or chargrill pan over a medium-high heat. Sear the skewers on all sides, then continue to cook, turning occasionally for 2-3 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
Place the beef lollipops on a platter with the cos lettuce leaves for wrapping. Sprinkle with the reserved sesame seeds and serve with lemon or lime slices.
Ainsley Harriott explores Australia's best regional produce markets in the brand-new season of Ainsley's Australian Market Menu on SBS and SBS On Demand.