Topping the creamy pasta with prosciutto instead of bacon gives the dish a sharper flavour, and it's all ready in a matter of minutes.
- 200 g fettuccine or thick pasta
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 ml) single (pouring) cream
- ⅓ cup (25 g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4−6 slices prosciutto
- extra finely grated parmesan, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8−10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, return to the pan and place over low heat.
2. Add the egg yolks, cream, parmesan, salt and pepper and stir for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly and coated the pasta.
3. Place on serving plates and top with torn pieces of prosciutto. Sprinkle with extra parmesan to serve.