This easy dip recipe takes the classic combination of trout with cream cheese, lemon, dill and capers and gives it new life - and spice - with jalapeño peppers and a dusting of paprika.
- 1 smoked trout
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 small garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeño peppers
- 1–2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 100 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ lemon, zested
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 tbsp flying fish roe
- chervil, cornichons, to garnish
- lavosh, to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Remove skin and bones from trout. Using a fork, gently remove flesh and flake into large pieces.
- Using the back of a fork, mix trout, chives, dill, garlic, jalapeño, mayonnaise, cream cheese, and lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl until all ingredients are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle over paprika, capers and flying fish roe. Top with chervil and cornichons to garnish.
- Serve with lavosh.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.