If there's one thing that eggplant beckons for, it's a smoky flavour. It's there another, it's garlic. They come together to make this dip truly magic.
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tbsp (40 ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp (40 ml) olive oil
- 3 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted
- ½ tsp salt
- Olive oil, for garnish
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- Pita bread, for serving
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Char eggplants on the barbecue or in a skillet. Take off the heat and allow to cool. Peel eggplants. Drain eggplant flesh in a colander to remove excess moisture.
- Mash eggplant flesh in a bowl. Add lemon juice and stir to combine. Add tahini, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, roasted garlic cloves, and salt, and stir.
- Place into a bowl or on a plate and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top.
- Serve with pita bread.