Serve with pork or potato as the heart of the taco, or both.
Chipotle pork and cumin-roasted sweet potatoes star in this Mexican-inspired taco spread, along with a smoky tomato salsa. Set it all out and let everyone make their own taco.
Chipotle Pork Tenderloin
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (45 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (25 g) finely chopped oregano
- 2 chipotles in adobo
- 1½ tbsp (30 ml) adobo
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 3 tsp (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground cumin
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 600–700 g pork tenderloin, silver skin removed
- 3 tsp (15 ml) canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas
Cumin Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2½ cm (1 in) chunks
- 1½ tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) honey
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (3 g) kosher salt
- ¼ tsp (1 g) cayenne pepper
- ½ lime, juiced
- Grilled tomato salsa (see recipe)
- Sour cream or yoghurt, optional
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Marinating time: 2-6 hours (plus 30 minutes to return to room temperature)
- For the pork, pulse together maple syrup, oregano, chipotles, adobo, garlic, lime zest and juice, vinegar and cumin in a small food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve 2 tbsp of mixture and set aside. Brush remaining mixture over the pork, place on plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours.
- Remove pork from fridge and bring to room temperature, about 30 min. Heat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Stir sweet potatoes with oil, honey, cumin, salt and cayenne on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender and golden, 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Meanwhile, for the pork, heat oil in an oven-proof or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add tenderloin and cook until brown on all sides, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Place pan in oven and continue to cook until desired doneness is reached (between 60-70°C, 140-160°F), around 12 to 18 minutes.
- Remove pork from oven, transfer to a cutting surface, brush with remaining mixture and tent with tinfoil. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing very thinly for tacos.
- Toss sweet potato with lime juice just before serving.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions and serve with pork, sweet potatoes, salsa, guacamole and sour cream.