Comedian and host Joel Creasey makes his reliable spaghetti carbonara - a hearty pasta with classic flavours.
- 375 g spaghetti
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- 5 rashers rindless bacon, diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 g (1½ cups) finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and salt it generously. Add the spaghetti, stir well and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add a drizzle of oil and the bacon and cook until golden.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the pan with the bacon. Stir in the beaten eggs and cheese and combine well. Serve scattered with extra parmesan and a good grind of black pepper.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Adam Liaw.