The classic, heavenly combination of spinach and feta in flaky golden parcels never disappoints.
- 3 tbsp (60ml) olive oil
- 4 cups spinach, stem removed and chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced thinly
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 cup crumbled feta
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- 454 g filo pastry
- 1 cup melted butter
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Preheat oven to180°C (350 F).
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat and add spinach. Cook until wilted. Squeeze out the excess water. Add spinach to bowl with scallion, dill, feta, pepper, eggs, and salt and stir to combine.
- Cut 1 filo sheet into six long strips.Brush with melted butter. Dollop 1 heaped tablespoonful of the spinach and cheese mixture close to the bottom of one of the strips. Fold the bottom left corner up to form a triangle. Continue folding in this way until you get to the end of the strip.
- Brush parcels with melted butter and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Repeat this process until all the filling and pastry is used up.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm or cold.