To save time, make these tortilla pies a day ahead. Take any left-over pies for lunch the next day with a mixed salad.
- 1 large red capsicum (pepper), thickly sliced
- 1 large lower-GI potato, such as Carisma, diced
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
- olive oil spray
- 2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 6 x 30 g (1 oz) low-sodium sorj (soft, thin Lebanese-style bread) rye wraps
- 4 eggs, plus 2 eggwhites
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) skim milk
- 2 tbsp parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 250 g (9 oz) mixed salad leaves
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread the capsicum, potato and onion over the tray, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
Using a 14 cm (5½ inch) round cutter, cut a circle from each wrap. Lightly spray one side of the circles with olive oil and gently press the oiled side into six 185 ml (6 fl oz/¾ cup) capacity muffin holes.
Divide the roasted vegetables among the muffin holes. Whisk the eggs, eggwhites and milk together in a small bowl. Pour over the vegetables, sprinkle with the parsley and bake for 25 minutes or until the pies are golden and set.
Drizzle the salad leaves with the white balsamic vinegar and serve with the hot pies.
• Gently heat the wraps in the microwave before cutting them into rounds – this will make it easy to shape them into the muffin holes. Sprinkle each tortilla with a small quantity of Spanish manchego cheese before baking. Manchego is a sheep’s cheese with a delicate nutty flavour.
Nutrition (per serve)
Energy: 930 kJ
Protein: 14 g
Carbohydrate: 28 g
- Starches: 23 g
- Sugars: 5 g
Protein:carbohydrate ratio, 0.5
Fat: 5 g
- Saturated fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated fat: 3.5 g
Saturated:unsaturated ratio, 0.43
Fibre: 4 g
Sodium: 235 mg
Potassium: 570 mg
Sodium:potassium ratio, 0.41
Gluten free? No