These fragrant lentils topped with a creamy poached egg are the perfect vegetarian comfort food.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red onion, minced
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 4½ cups (1.1 L) low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 4 large eggs, poached
- ⅓ cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, for topping (optional)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Pour peanut oil into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and red onion and saute.
2. Pour lentils into pan and stir to coat in oil.
3. Add garam masala and smoked paprika to the pan. Stir through and cook for a minute.
4. Pour in vegetable broth and stir. Cook until liquid is absorbed.
5. Add spinach and stir. Cook until spinach has wilted.
6. Top with poached eggs and coriander to serve. Sprinkle on salt and pepper, and some hot sauce, if desired.