Frozen French fries never tasted so good. Fried then finished with Lebanese spices with an added kick from Aleppo pepper, you’ll never look at tomato sauce the same way again.
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 500 g store-bought French fries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 g flaked almonds, toasted
- pinch of red Aleppo pepper
- pinch of sumac
- pinch of ground coriander
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 15 sprigs coriander, torn
- salt, to taste
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or deep saucepan to 180˚C. Cook the fries for 3–5 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, place a large frying pan over medium—high heat. Add the oil and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until aromatic. Add the flaked almonds and cook for 1 minute, then, using a slotted spoon, transfer the fries directly from the hot oil into the frying pan. Add the remaining ingredients and toss really well to ensure all the seasonings are well dispersed.
- Transfer the fries to a serving dish and serve immediately.