- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- ¼ (about 300 g) white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, thinly shredded
- 2 long green chillies, seeded, thinly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white vinegar
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat. Add eschalots, garlic and mustard seeds, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until eschalots are starting to brown.
Add cabbage, carrots and chillies, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until cabbage just begins to soften. Remove from heat, then stir in vinegar. Serve immediately.
Photography Brett Stevens