This is a great dish to serve a crowd.
- 4 red capsicums, chopped
- 1 cup pistachios, roasted and chopped
- Rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 whole salmon, filleted and boned
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 broccoli cut into florets (or use 3 bunches broccolini)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup sultanas
- Pickled avocados (see Note)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Resting time: 5 minutes
For the salmon, preheat oven or BBQ to 150°C.
Place capsicums directly on the flame or bbq and cook until tender and coloured (10-15 minutes) then remove and let them cool for 5 minutes before handling.
Clean capsicum by cutting the top and tail off and removing the seeds, then using the back of your knife scrape the burnt skin off the flesh. Place flesh in a bowl ready for the stuffing.
To make pistachio pesto place pistachios, lemon juice and rind, basil, parmesan, garlic and olive oil into a food processor and blitz for 3 minutes until smooth; taste then season with salt and pepper.
To prepare salmon place one fillet skin side down on the chopping board, then smear with pistachio pesto then top with charred capsicums. Top with the other fillet and using trussing string, truss your salmon together.
Place salmon on a baking tray lined with baking paper and cook at 150 degrees for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, make broccoli salad. Preheat your BBQ or a grill pan over medium heat.
Clean broccolini or broccoli then place onto the hot dry grill and cook for 5-8 minutes until charred and tender.
Once cooked remove broccoli from the grill and place on a serving platter, season with salt and pepper then dress with red wine vinegar and olive oil. Garnish with almonds, sultanas, pickled avocados and lemon wedges.
Once fish has cooked remove from oven and rest 5 minutes before serving,
Place baked fish on a serving plate, and garnish with chopped parsley. Season with salt, pepper and serve with lemon wedges.
• To make pickled avocado, place 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water, ½ cup granulated sugar, 1 tbsp kosher salt, ½ tsp whole black peppercorns, ½ tsp coriander seeds, ½ tsp red pepper (chilli) flakes, 1 lemon myrtle leaf and ½ garlic clove in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove the pan from the heat and allow cool to room temperature. Then peel and pit 2 firm avocados. Cut into slices. Place in 2 (18-ounce or larger) canning jars. Pour the cooled brining liquid into the jars, completely covering the avocado pieces, and seal the jars. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. They’ll last up to 2 weeks in the fridge