A fun spin on a lunchtime favourite.
- 1 cup brown sushi rice
- 1½ tbsp (30ml) mirin rice wine sauce
- ½ tsp wasabi paste made (see Note)
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 210 g can red salmon, drained
- 2.5 g nori, crushed in small flakes
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 120 g salad mix
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled in ribbons
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
- 1 tbsp mirin rice wine sauce
- 1 tsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Cook rice according to packet directions. Once cooked, pour rice mirin over rice to let the rice absorb it.
While rice is cooking, make dressing by combining ingredients in a small jar. Seal jar and shake well to combine. Make salad by combining ingredients in a large salad bowl. Toss well. Combine wasabi paste and mayonnaise in a medium-sized bowl. Stir well. Add salmon and crushed nori.
Add rice once it has absorbed the mirin. Stir to combine.
Wet hands and roll each tbsp of mixture into about 16 small balls. Roll sushi balls lightly in sesame seeds. Set aside.
Divide salad among serving plates and top with sushi balls. Shake then drizzle dressing to serve.
• The Healthy Food Guide team used Ceres Organics wasabi powder to make their wasabi paste for this recipe.