I absolutely love combining chocolate and orange in cakes and desserts, as they work so well together, but the nuts and the wonderfully rich tahini really crank up the flavour while also keeping these little brownie squares lovely and soft.
These almond-based orange-spiked brownies are so good, simple to make and even gluten free to boot.
- 4 eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 unwaxed oranges
- 4 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 400 g ground almonds
- 200 g salted butter, melted
- 4 heaped tbsp tahini of pouring consistency, thinned with warm water if necessary
- 100 g dark chocolate chunks or chips (70% cocoa solids)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan), Gas Mark 4. Line a 20-cm square cake tin with baking paper, ensuring the paper comes up a little over the sides.
2. Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl until combined. Add the orange zest and juice and cocoa powder and mix well. Add the ground almonds, then stir in the melted butter. Add the runny tahini and really work it well into the mixture – it will stiffen a little, so add a tablespoon of warm water if it seizes too much. Finally, fold in the chocolate.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and then shake the tin and tap it on the work surface to settle the mixture evenly. Bake for 45–50 minutes, or until cooked through and a skewer or knife inserted into the centre of the brownie comes out clean. Remove from the oven, then use the paper to lift the brownie out of the tin. Leave to cool on a wire rack on the paper, then cut into squares.
Recipe from Simply: Easy Everyday Dishes by the bestselling author of Persiana, Sabrina Ghayour (Hachette Australia, RRP $32.99)