Damn right I love a prawn cocktail! And yes, it’s meant to be retro, and yes, it’s meant to be a little bit trashy.
- 6–8 extra large cooked tiger prawns, peeled with tails left intact
Thousand island dressing
- 250 g Kewpie mayo
- 1 tsp Sriracha chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced chilli and lemon slices
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- For the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Place a pinch of lettuce in the bottom of 2 large martini glasses or serving bowls. Top with a good dollop of the thousand island dressing and a prawn. Repeat in layers until the glass is full. Finish with the chilli and a slice of lemon.
Adam Liaw cooks, laughs, and explores culture with some of Australia's most beloved in The Cook Up With Adam Liaw.
Photography by Adam Liaw.