Lamingtons are one of Australia’s favourite sweet treats (especially when they have a cream filled centre!), so it makes perfect sense to combine them with a classic Italian Tiramisu to create a marriage made in heaven, Tiramisu lamingtons.
Gluten- free and no added sugar, everyone can enjoy these delicious devious delights! #BringBackTheClassics
- 180 g (2 cups) coconut flakes or dessicated coconut, toasted
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) boiling water
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) Marsala
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 g (½ cup) honey
- 250 g (2 ½ cups) almond meal
- 75 g (½ cup) buckwheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 50 g unsalted butter, melted
- 200 g thickened cream
- 200 g Cadbury 70% Espresso dark chocolate, chopped (see Note)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150 g mascarpone cheese, softened
- 200 g thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Chilling time: 30 mins
1. To make the sponge, preheat the oven to 150˚C. Lightly grease and line a 27.5 cm x 23 cm lamington tin with baking paper.
2. Place the coffee, boiling water and Marsala in a bowl. Stir until the coffee dissolves, then set aside to cool.
Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs, vanilla and honey until pale and fluffy. Gently fold in the almond meal, buckwheat flour and baking powder. Fold in the butter and cooled coffee mixture until just combined.
3. Pour into the lined tin and bake for 35 minutes or until the sponge springs back lightly when touched.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Trim the edges of the sponge and cut into 12 small squares.
5. To make the ganache, place the cream in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to just below boiling point. Remove from the heat, add chocolate and stir until smooth and well combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. Place the coconut on a tray and place a wire rack over another tray to place the coated lamingtons on. Working one at a time, dip each square of sponge in the ganache until covered all over, then roll in the coconut and place on the wire rack. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until set.
7. Meanwhile, for the mascarpone cream, place the egg yolks and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until pale and thick. Add the mascarpone, then the whipped cream and beat until just combined. Whisk the egg whites in a separate clean bowl until soft peaks form. Using a metal spoon, fold the egg whites into the cream mixture until just combined.
8. Cut the lamingtons in half horizontally, then thickly spread one side with mascarpone cream and sandwich the lamington back together again. Enjoy!
• If you can’t find Cadbury 70% Espresso dark chocolate, just use plain 70% chocolate.
Lead illustration by Billie Justice Thomson.