- 1.5 kg roughly chopped ripe tomatoes
- 6 eschalots, chopped
- 4 long red chillies, seeded, sliced into long strips
- 3 red bird’s-eye chillies, finely chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) white vinegar
- 330 g (1½ cups firmly packed) brown sugar
- 4 cloves
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Will keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
Makes 4 cups
Place all ingredients in a pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until tomatoes soften and sugar dissolves.
Reduce heat to low and cook for a further 45 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into sterilised jars. Use in sandwiches, on grilled meats or as a dipping sauce.
Photography by Brett Stevens