Crudo is an Italian word for "raw" and in this recipe, it refers to a delicate mix of fresh tuna and avocado spiked with Asian flavours of mirin, soy, pickled ginger and chilli.
- ½ avocado
- lemon juice
- 250 g raw tuna, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger, plus1 tsp juice
- 2 tbsp diced cucumber, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp diced hot chilli
- ½ tsp soybean paste
- ½ tsp chilli paste
- 1 tbsp light-sodium soy
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp flying fish roe
- finely chopped chives, to garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Dice avocado and add a squeeze of lemon juice to keep it green.
- Combine all ingredients except chives in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir together so all ingredients are evenly distributed, without breaking apart. Garnish with chives and serve.
• This could be served with pawn crackers or even nori sheets.
This recipe is from Richo's Bar Snacks on SBS Food (Channel 33). Stream episodes via SBS On Demand.