A comforting, hearty Russian stew with tender mushrooms in a rich sauce, served atop creamy mash - a perfect weeknight meal.
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved or thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ tbsp flour
- 2 cups vegan beef or veg stock
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup vegan sour cream or cream cheese
- handful chopped dill
- handful chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to season
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Heat vegan butter and oil over a medium high heat, then add the shallots and mushrooms and cook until slightly golden. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook off for a minute then add both paprikas, caraway and tomato paste. Cook over medium heat for a further minute.
2. Add the flour and toast for a minute before slowly stirring in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and mustard. Allow to simmer partially covered over a low heat for about 20 minutes before finishing with the sour cream or cream cheese and herbs. Add more stock if needed.
3. Stir until the sour cream/cream cheese is fully incorporated. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste. Be careful not the let the mix boil or it may split!
4. Remove from the heat and serve over buttered noodles or with mash potato.